How many years has it been since you compared low-cost insurance rates in Schererville, IN? Did you come to the realization that you have high-priced insurance? Say no more because there are many Schererville drivers thinking the same thing.
A recent insurance study revealed that most insurance policyholders in Indiana have remained with the same insurance company for four years or more, and roughly 40% of drivers have never even compared quotes to find lower-cost rates. With the average premium in the United States being $1,847, drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year by just shopping around, but they just assume it's a time-consuming process to go online and compare rates.
Lots of auto insurance companies contend for your hard-earned dollar, so it's not easy to compare every insurer to get the lowest rate on insurance.
Consumers should take time to do price comparisons occasionally because rates are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Even if you got the best deal on insurance two years ago you will most likely find a better price today. There are lots of tips to save on insurance on the web, but I'm going to show you some of the best ways to lower your insurance bill.
If you have a policy now, you will be able to save money using the techniques covered below. Buying the cheapest insurance in Schererville is actually quite easy if you know where to start. But Indiana car owners do need to know the way companies determine what you pay and use it to find better rates.
The easiest way to compare insurance rates from multiple companies is to take advantage of the fact most of the larger companies allow for online access to give free rates quotes. All consumers are required to do is provide information including the make and model of your vehicles, how much education you have, how old drivers are, and any included safety features. Your rating data is then sent to multiple companies and they respond with quotes instantly to find the best rate.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here and find out if lower rates are available in Schererville.
The following companies offer price comparisons in Indiana. If more than one company is shown, it's highly recommended you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$832||$416||$69|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 4WD||$1,166||$583||$97|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$720||$360||$60|
|Ford F-150 Lariat King Ranch 2WD||$826||$413||$69|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$728||$364||$61|
|Honda Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$836||$418||$70|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$656||$328||$55|
|Honda Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$930||$465||$78|
|Hyundai Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$766||$383||$64|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$1,012||$506||$84|
|Jeep Wrangler Sport Islander Package 4WD 2-Dr||$856||$428||$71|
|Kia Optima EX||$898||$449||$75|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,026||$513||$86|
|Nissan Rogue S AWD||$878||$439||$73|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,384||$692||$115|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$782||$391||$65|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,018||$509||$85|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Indiana minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Information does not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can revise auto insurance rates substantially.
Does full coverage make sense?
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Chevrolet Malibu insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in Indiana. The prices are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $500 deductibles, single female driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Chevrolet Malibu rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no exact rule of when to drop comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than around 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let's say your Chevrolet Malibu replacement cost is $4,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $3,000 after paying your policy deductible. If premium cost is more than $300 a year for full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some conditions where dropping full coverage is not a good idea. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Don't neglect these discounts
Auto insurance can be pricey, but there's a good chance there are discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Some of these discounts will be visible at the time of purchase, but some need to be asked for prior to receiving the credit. If you do not check that you are getting every discount available, you may be paying too high a price.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Completing a course teaching defensive driving skills can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars and trucks with ABS braking systems or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Drivers who require all occupants to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Discount for Good Grades - Excelling in school can save 20 to 25%. The discount lasts up until you turn 25.
- Military Rewards - Being on active duty in the military can result in better auto insurance rates.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Low mileage vehicles can qualify you for substantially lower auto insurance rates.
As a sidenote, some credits don't apply to all coverage premiums. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So when it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you're out of luck.
A partial list of companies that may offer some of the discounts shown above are:
Before buying, ask each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts may not apply to policies in Schererville. To locate insurance companies with discount rates in Schererville, click here.
Informed consumers can lower your rates
It's important that you understand the different types of things that play a part in calculating your premiums. If you know what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make good choices that could result in lower premium levels.
The following are some of the most common factors used by insurance companies to determine your prices.
- Raise physical damage deductibles and save - Your deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend before your car insurance pays a claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, also called 'full coverage', covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of some claims that would be covered would be collision with another vehicle, vandalism, or theft of your vehicle. The more of the claim you're willing to pay, the less your car insurance will be.
- Age of drivers - More mature drivers are shown to be more cautious, file fewer claims, and get fewer tickets.Teenage drivers are known to be less responsible when driving so they pay higher car insurance rates.
- Car features impact rates - Selecting a car model with a theft deterrent system can save you some money. Systems that thwart thieves such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can help prevent car theft.
- Liability protection limits should be high - The liability coverage on your policy will protect you in the event that a jury decides you are liable for damages from an accident. Liability insurance provides for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- Your location is important - Having an address in small towns and rural areas is a positive aspect when trying to find low car insurance rates. Drivers in populated areas regularly have more aggressive driving styles and higher rates of accident claims. Fewer drivers on the road means reduced accidents in addition to lower liability claims
- Careless driving means higher prices - Whether or not you get tickets has a big impact on rates. Getting just one ticket could increase your next policy renewal by twenty percent. Drivers who don't get tickets get better rates compared to drivers with tickets. People who have serious violations such as reckless driving or DUI may find that they have to to complete a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to keep their license.
- Male premiums may be higher - Over time, data shows females are less aggressive when driving. The data does not necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. Females and males are in at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but males get into accidents with more damage. Men also get higher numbers of serious violations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Youthful male drivers are most likely to cause an accident and therefore have the most expensive car insurance rates.
Local neighborhood Schererville car insurance agents
Many people would prefer to sit down with an agent and we recommend doing that The best thing about comparing rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheap auto insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your insurance coverage information gets sent to participating agents in Schererville who will return price quotes for your auto insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to even leave your home since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. You'll get the best rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, don't hesitate to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Finding the right company requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- How long has the business existed?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- What companies can they write with?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
The type of car insurance agent you choose is important
If you want to buy auto insurance from a reputable insurance agent or broker, you should know the types of agencies to choose from. Agencies in Schererville are either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only place business with one company and examples are AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. They usually cannot provide other company's prices so you might not find the best rates. These agents are trained well on sales techniques which can be an advantage.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are not restricted to one company so they have the ability to put coverage amongst many companies and potentially find a lower price. If premiums increase, your policy is moved internally which is easy for the insured. When shopping rates, we highly recommend that you include price quotes from multiple independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
After talking to the agent and getting positive feedback to any questions you have as well as offering an affordable quote, it's possible that you found a car insurance agent that will service your policy.
More effort can pay off
Budget-conscious insurance is possible from both online companies in addition to many Schererville insurance agents, so you should compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies don't offer price quotes online and many times these small insurance companies only sell coverage through local independent agencies.
When shopping online for insurance, it's a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. In too many instances, an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. Your strategy should be to buy enough coverage at the best cost while still protecting your assets.
For more information, feel free to browse the articles below:
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female in Indiana? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Young Drivers in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Homeowners in Indiana? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Richmond, Indiana? (FAQ)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)