Trying to find the cheapest insurance for a new or used Ford Edge in Indiana can turn out to be difficult, but you can learn the following methods to make it easier. There are both good and bad ways to compare car insurance rates and you need to know the quickest way to price shop coverage on a Ford and locate the best price possible either online or from Fort Wayne insurance agents.
It's shocking but almost 70% of insureds in Indiana have remained with the same car insurance company for at least the last four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never even compared rates from other companies. Consumers in America could save as much as $850 every year just by shopping around, but most undervalue the big savings they would realize if they just switched companies.
Finding the cheapest insurance coverage in Fort Wayne is quite easy. If you have a policy now or just want cheaper coverage, you can use these techniques to buy cheaper insurance while maximizing coverage. Drivers just need to learn how to compare rate quotes using one simple form.
Getting a more affordable price on insurance is actually easier than you may think. The only requirement is to spend a few minutes getting comparison quotes online from several insurance companies.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide quotes in Fort Wayne, IN. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to find the most competitive car insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Edge SE 2WD||$182||$352||$294||$18||$88||$934||$78|
|Edge SE AWD||$118||$244||$264||$16||$80||$722||$60|
|Edge SEL 2WD||$240||$436||$368||$22||$110||$1,176||$98|
|Edge Limited 2WD||$162||$358||$318||$18||$94||$950||$79|
|Edge SEL AWD||$210||$450||$380||$22||$114||$1,176||$98|
|Edge Limited AWD||$208||$504||$318||$18||$94||$1,142||$95|
|Edge Sport 2WD||$268||$632||$380||$22||$114||$1,416||$118|
|Edge Sport AWD||$186||$444||$318||$18||$94||$1,060||$88|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Indiana minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, and claim-free. Rate quotes do not factor in vehicle location which can raise or lower premiums greatly.
Comparison of policy deductibles
The illustration below shows how choosing a deductible and can increase or decrease Ford Edge insurance rates for different age categories. The price estimates are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Why you need vehicle insurance in Indiana
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Fort Wayne, buying insurance is required in Indiana but also provides important benefits.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage if you drive a vehicle. In Indiana these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Ford Edge, most banks will force you to carry insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may buy a policy for your Ford at a much higher premium rate and require you to reimburse them for it.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your car. It will also provide coverage for most medical and hospital costs for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you have damage to your Ford as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially when you need to use it. But the average American driver is wasting up to $865 each year so you should quote and compare rates once a year at a minimum to save money.
Why Informed Consumers Pay Less for Ford Edge Insurance
Lots of factors are used in the calculation when premium rates are determined. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, although some other factors are more transparent like where you live or your commute time. Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that aid in calculating the rates you pay for insurance. If you have some idea of what impacts premium levels, this enables informed choices that can earn you better insurance rates.
Deter vehicle theft - Owning a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can help lower your premiums. Systems that thwart thieves like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM's OnStar system all help stop your vehicle from being stolen.
Men pay more for insurance - Statistics show females are less aggressive when driving. That doesn't necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Men and women have auto accidents at about the same rate, but males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also tend to get higher numbers of serious violations like driving under the influence (DUI).
Save money by having high credit - Your credit history can be a huge factor in calculating your insurance rates. People with good credit tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with poor credit. If your credit rating could use some work, you may save money insuring your Ford Edge by improving your rating.
Remove unneeded extra coverages - Insurance companies have many add-on coverages that may not really be needed if you aren't diligent. Coverages for rental car coverage, accident forgiveness, and motor club memberships may be wasting your money. The coverages may be enticing initially, but if you've never needed them in the past eliminate them to save money.
What's your car's crash test rating? - Cars with five star safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. These vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and lower injury rates means less claims paid and cheaper rates on your policy. If your Ford Edge earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org you may qualify for a discount.
Low mileage costs less - The more you drive in a year's time the more you'll pay to insure your vehicle. Most companies rate vehicles based on their usage. Vehicles that are left in the garage get more affordable rates than those used for commuting. Incorrect rating for your Edge can cost quite a bit. It's always a good idea to double check that your insurance coverage is rated on annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Claims statistics for a Ford Edge - Insurance companies include the past claim trends for vehicles when they set coverage costs for each model. Models that have high amounts or severity of claims will have a higher cost to insure.
The table below demonstrates the loss history for Ford Edge vehicles. For each policy coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles as a whole is set at 100. Values under 100 represent a good loss history, while percentage values above 100 indicate more frequent claims or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Ford Edge Vehicles
|Specific Ford Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Ford Edge 4dr 2WD||53||93|
|Ford Edge 4dr 4WD||71||108||75|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Cheap Ford Edge insurance in Fort Wayne
Car insurance companies don't necessarily list every available discount very clearly, so the list below details both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Fort Wayne auto insurance online.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Keeping the miles down on your Ford could be rewarded with slightly better auto insurance rates than normal.
- Discount for Good Grades - A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- Driver Safety - Taking a course that instructs on driving safety is a good idea and can lower rates if your company offers it.
- Active Service Discounts - Being deployed in the military can result in better rates.
- Paper-free Discount - A few larger online companies will give a small break just for signing your application on the web.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Claim-Free Discount - Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay much less compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Life Insurance Discount - If the company offers life insurance, you could get lower premium rates if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Theft Deterrent - Cars and trucks optioned with advanced anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and will save you 10% or more on Edge insurance in Fort Wayne.
While discounts sound great, it's important to understand that some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
Some of the insurance companies that possibly offer most of these discounts include:
When getting free Fort Wayne auto insurance quotes, it's a good idea to every company how you can save money. Some discounts may not apply to policies in every state. To find insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in Fort Wayne, click this link.
How to know if you need help
When choosing the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn't really a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's so your insurance needs to address that. For example, these questions can aid in determining if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- What if I total my Ford Edge and owe more than it's worth?
- Who sells insurance for high-risk drivers?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
If you're not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It's fast, free and can help protect your family.
Do I need an insurance agency?
Some consumers still like to talk to an insurance agent and that is OK! Agents can help you build your policy and help file insurance claims. The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you may find cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
After filling out this quick form, your coverage information is immediately sent to companies in Fort Wayne who want to provide quotes for your coverage. You won't need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent directly to your email. If you wish to compare prices for a specific company, feel free to navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Choosing an provider is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. Here are some questions to ask:
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Is there a local claims center in Fort Wayne?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Fort Wayne?
What type of Fort Wayne auto insurance agent is right for you?
If you are wanting to find a reputable agency, you need to know there are two different types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Agencies in Fort Wayne can be described as either independent or exclusive. Both handle auto insurance, but it's good to learn how they differ since it can impact which agent you choose.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents can usually just insure with one company like State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so it's a take it or leave it situation. These agents are well trained on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Some insured continue to use the same exclusive agent mostly because of the brand name rather than low price.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agents in Fort Wayne who may provide you with price quote information.
- Farmers Insurance - Larry Elliott
7529 W Jefferson Blvd - Fort Wayne, IN 46804 - (260) 434-1952 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Keith Miller
4930 Illinois Rd Ste 1 - Fort Wayne, IN 46804 - (260) 434-0010 - View Map
- Shawn Corbett - State Farm Insurance Agent
6061 N Clinton St - Fort Wayne, IN 46825 - (260) 484-6199 - View Map
Agents that choose to be independent often have many company appointments so they can insure your vehicles with lots of companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply switch companies in-house and you stay with the same agent.
When comparing auto insurance prices, we highly recommend that you get rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies to get the best comparison. Most independent agents also contract with companies that do not advertise much which can be an advantage.
Listed below are independent agencies in Fort Wayne who can help you get price quote information.
- Affordable Agency Inc
2314 Lake Ave - Fort Wayne, IN 46805 - (260) 485-2526 - View Map
- Luttman Insurance
707 Airport North Office Park - Fort Wayne, IN 46825 - (260) 482-6700 - View Map
- Hoch Insurance Inc
209 E Washington Center Rd - Fort Wayne, IN 46825 - (260) 471-7555 - View Map
Don't give up on cheaper premiums
We just covered some good ideas how to reduce Ford Edge insurance car insurance rates online in Fort Wayne. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the most savings is with the smaller companies. These companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
When getting Fort Wayne auto insurance quotes online, don't be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many cases where drivers have reduced collision coverage to discover at claim time they didn't purchase enough coverage. Your strategy should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
For more information, take a look at the resources below:
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Terre Haute, Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Indiana Auto Insurance Rates for Immigrants? (FAQ)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Get the Right Protection (InsureUonline.org)