No sane person looks forward to buying insurance, particularly when they are paying too much.
Regrettably, the vast majority of consumers kept their policy with the same company for more than four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never shopped around. With the average premium in America being $1,847, drivers could cut their rates by approximately $860 a year just by shopping around, but most tend to underestimate the rate savings if they changed companies. Drivers have multiple auto insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and even though it's nice to have a choice, it can be more difficult to compare company pricing.
Auto insurance companies in Seymour
The companies shown below provide free quotes in Seymour, IN. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you visit several of them to get the most affordable price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$1,062||$531||$89|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SE||$620||$310||$52|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab ST 2WD||$1,086||$543||$91|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$932||$466||$78|
|Ford Explorer XLT 4WD||$798||$399||$67|
|Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab 2WD||$880||$440||$73|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$924||$462||$77|
|Ford Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$948||$474||$79|
|GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$1,148||$574||$96|
|Honda Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$816||$408||$68|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$702||$351||$59|
|Honda Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,118||$559||$93|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4WD||$928||$464||$77|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,274||$637||$106|
|Nissan Rogue SL 2WD||$894||$447||$75|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$922||$461||$77|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,140||$570||$95|
|Toyota Tacoma 2WD||$840||$420||$70|
|Volkswagen Jetta S 2.5 Station Wagon||$686||$343||$57|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Indiana minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, and homeowner. Price information does not factor in your specific Seymour location which can revise coverage prices significantly.
Physical damage deductibles: Should you raise them?
One common question asked by Seymour drivers is which deductible level should you buy. The data tables below lay out the difference in cost of buying low and high physical damage deductibles. The first rate estimation uses a $250 physical damage deductible and the second data table uses a $1,000 deductible.
Hyundai Elantra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Elantra GLS Touring Station Wagon||$188||$300||$238||$14||$72||$837||$70|
|Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$188||$430||$280||$16||$84||$1,023||$85|
|Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$216||$430||$280||$16||$84||$1,051||$88|
|Elantra SE 4-Dr Sedan||$216||$430||$280||$16||$84||$1,051||$88|
|Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$216||$366||$238||$14||$72||$931||$78|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Elantra GLS Touring Station Wagon||$116||$188||$238||$14||$72||$628||$52|
|Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$116||$270||$280||$16||$84||$766||$64|
|Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$134||$270||$280||$16||$84||$784||$65|
|Elantra SE 4-Dr Sedan||$134||$270||$280||$16||$84||$784||$65|
|Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$134||$230||$238||$14||$72||$688||$57|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Data based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Indiana minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Rate information does not factor in specific Seymour garaging location which can modify price quotes considerably.
Based on this data, we can arrive at the conclusion that using a $250 deductible would cost the average driver about $21 more each month or $252 every year than requesting the higher $1,000 deductible. Due to the fact that you would have to pay $750 more to file a claim with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you tend to have at a minimum 36 months between claims, you would save more money if you opt for a higher deductible.
How insurance providers determine insurance rates
Lots of factors are part of the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some are obvious like your driving record, but other factors are more obscure such as your credit history or how financially stable you are.
The following are a few of the "ingredients" insurance companies consider when setting premiums.
Good drivers pay better premiums - How you drive can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Even a single speeding ticket or other violation could increase your next policy renewal forty percent or more. Careful drivers receive lower rates than their less careful counterparts. Drivers who get serious violations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence might be required by their state to maintain a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to legally drive.
Small coverages can add up - Policies have add-on coverages that can waste your money if you don't pay attention. Coverages like rental car coverage, better glass coverage, and motor club memberships are examples of these. They may sound like good ideas at first, but if you have no use for them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
Don't skimp on liability coverage - Liability insurance is the protection if ever a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Your policy's liability insurance provides legal defense which can cost a lot. This coverage is very inexpensive when compared with rates for comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
Do safer cars cost less to insure? - Vehicles with good safety scores tend to be cheaper to insure. Highly rated vehicles protect occupants better and lower injury rates translates directly to fewer claims and thus lower rates.
Consolidate policies with the same company - The majority of insurers provide discounts to clients that buy multiple policies such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can be 10 percent or more. Even if you're getting this discount you may still want to get quotes from other companies to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
You may qualify for discounts
Auto insurance can be pricey, but there may be some discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at the time of quoting, but less common discounts must be inquired about before being credited.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Theft Deterrent - Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems have a lower chance of being stolen and will qualify for a discount on a Seymour auto insurance quote.
- Onboard Data Collection - Policyholders that allow driving data submission to look at where and when they drive by using a small device installed in their vehicle like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could possibly reduce rates if they are good drivers.
- Drivers Education - Have your child participate in a local driver's education class if it's offered in school.
- Seat Belt Usage - Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts can save up to 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - By paying your policy upfront instead of making monthly payments you could save 5% or more.
- Buy New and Save - Adding a new car to your policy is cheaper because new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Include Life Insurance and Save - Not all insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you lower prices if you buy some life insurance too.
- Good Grades Discount - Performing well in school can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- Organization Discounts - Joining certain professional organizations can get you a small discount on auto insurance.
Discounts lower rates, but most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Even though the math looks like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won't be that lucky.
A few popular companies and a selection of discounts include:
- Progressive discounts include continuous coverage, online signing, good student, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
- AAA includes discounts for anti-theft, AAA membership discount, good driver, multi-policy, multi-car, pay-in-full, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for early shopping, good student, pay in full, youthful driver, distant student, and alternative fuel.
- GEICO has discounts for seat belt use, federal employee, good student, five-year accident-free, and air bags.
- Esurance policyholders can earn discounts including multi-car, renters, Switch & Save, claim free, online shopper, anti-theft, and online quote.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for multi-car, accident prevention training, bundle discounts, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, homeowner, and drive less.
- State Farm may include discounts for good student, accident-free, Steer Clear safe driver discount, Drive Safe & Save, and anti-theft.
Check with all the companies which discounts they offer. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policies in Seymour. For a list of providers with the best auto insurance discounts in Indiana, click this link.
Insurance agent or online?
A lot of people prefer to sit down with an agent and often times that is recommended Licensed agents are highly skilled in risk management and help in the event of a claim. A good thing about getting free rate quotes online is the fact that you can find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To find an agent, once you fill out this quick form, the quote information is sent to local insurance agents in Seymour who can give free rate quotes for your coverage. You won't even need to search for any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered directly to your email. If you have a need to quote rates from one company in particular, don't hesitate to navigate to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding the right company is decision based upon more than just the quoted price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
Do you need an independent or exclusive auto insurance agent?
If you are wanting to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, you must know there are a couple types of agencies to choose from. Car insurance agencies can be described as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both can write car insurance policies, but it's a good idea to understand why they differ because it can factor into buying decisions.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents work for only one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to place coverage with different providers so it's a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are usually well trained on what they offer which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Independent agencies do not have single company limitations so they can write business with a variety of different insurance companies and find you the best rates. If premiums increase, they simply move your policy to a different company and the insured can keep the same agent. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, we recommend you compare quotes from a few independent agents in order to compare the most rates.
Do car insurance companies bend the truth?
Consumers in Indiana can't avoid all the ads that promise big savings for switching from the likes of Allstate and Progressive. All the ads state the claim that drivers can save some big amount after switching your policy.
How does every company offer drivers better rates?
Many companies have specific guidelines for the type of driver that will generate a profit. An example of a profitable customer should be a mature driver, has a clear driving record, and has great credit. Anyone who matches those parameters will get very good Seymour rates and will cut their rates substantially.
Potential customers who don't qualify for these standards will probably have to pay higher premium rates which translates to the customer not buying. Company advertisements say "customers who switch" not "all people who quote" will save that much if they switch. That is how companies can make those claims. Each company has different criteria, so you need to compare many company's prices. Because without a comparison, you cannot know with any certainty which company will have the lowest car insurance in Seymour.
Situations that may require an agent's advice
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so your insurance needs to address that. Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if you might need an agent's assistance.
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- What is roadside assistance coverage?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- Will damage be repaired with OEM parts?
- What is PIP insurance?
- Is my vehicle covered for flood damage?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
Get the best coverage at the best price
There are still a few companies who do not offer online price quotes and many times these smaller providers sell through independent insurance agencies. The cheapest car insurance in Seymour is possible on the web and from local insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it's very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many instances, someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to buy enough coverage at the best cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Terre Haute, Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Indiana Auto Insurance for High Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Young Drivers in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Indiana Auto Insurance Rates for 4x4 Vehicles? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Merrillville, IN? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Self-driving cars won't replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)