How long has it been since you sat down and looked for low-cost auto insurance rates in Indianapolis, IN? Indianapolis shoppers have lots of choices when shopping for affordable Chevy Volt insurance. They can either spend hours driving around to get rate comparisons or save time using the internet to make rate comparisons. There is a right way and a wrong way to compare auto insurance rates and we'll show you the absolute fastest way to quote coverages for a new or used Chevy and locate the lowest price.
It's smart to compare premium rates every six months due to the fact that insurance prices are variable and change quite frequently. Just because you found the lowest rates on Chevy Volt insurance in Indianapolis six months ago you will most likely find a better rate quote today. You can find a lot of wrong information about Volt insurance on the web, but in just a couple of minutes you can learn some good information on how to lower your auto insurance premiums.
The following companies offer free quotes in Indiana. If multiple companies are shown, it's a good idea that you compare several of them to get the most competitive price.
Why you need insurance
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in Indianapolis, insurance is required by state law in Indiana and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
First, the majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability coverage in order to drive the car. In Indiana these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your Volt with a loan, most lenders will make it mandatory that you have insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy at an extremely high rate and require you to fork over the higher price.
Third, insurance protects not only your Chevy but also your assets. It will also pay for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially for larger claims. An average driver in America is overpaying more than $865 each year so we recommend shopping around once a year at a minimum to make sure the price is not too high.
How to Lower Your Insurance Rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the factors that aid in calculating the rates you pay for insurance. If you have a feel for what influences your rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to cheaper rates. Many factors are taken into consideration when premium rates are determined. A few of the factors are predictable such as traffic violations, but others are more transparent such as your marital status or how financially stable you are.
The itemized list below are some of the items companies use to determine premiums.
- Impacts performance impacts auto insurance premiums - The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you need to insure makes a substantial difference in your premium level. The lowest rates are usually for small economy passenger cars, but many other things help determine your insurance rates. Since the Chevrolet Volt is a passenger car, insurance will be similar in price or lower when compared to the average rates in Indianapolis.
- High comp and collision deductibles cost less - Protection for physical damage, aka comp and collision, is used to repair damage to your Chevy. Some coverage claims are a dented fender, damage from fire, or theft. Your deductibles tell how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if a claim is determined to be covered. The more damage repair cost you have to pay, the less your insurance will be.
- High credit scores save money - Your credit score is likely to be a major factor in your rate calculation. Therefore, if your credit rating leaves room for improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your Chevrolet Volt by taking the time to improve your credit score. Drivers with very high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims as compared to drivers with lower credit ratings.
- Responsible drivers pay better costs - How you drive impacts premiums far more than you think. Having just one driving citation can increase the cost of insurance by twenty percent. Drivers with clean records get better prices than bad drivers. Drivers who have gotten serious citations such as DUI or willful reckless driving may find that they have to to file a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
- Annual miles is a factor - The more you drive annually the more you will pay for insurance. A lot of companies apply a rate based upon how much you drive. Cars and trucks that sit idle most of the time can be on a lower rate level than those that get driven frequently. Ask your agent if your insurance policy correctly shows annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money. A policy that improperly rates your Volt may be costing you.
- Your address can influence prices - Choosing to live in smaller towns and rural areas of the country may provide you with better prices if you are looking for the lowest rates. Fewer drivers on the road means reduced accidents in addition to fewer liability claims. City drivers regularly have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Higher commute times means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
- Chevy Volt statistical loss data - Car insurance companies use past insurance losses to calculate a rate that will offset any claims. Models that the data determines to have higher claim frequency or loss amount will cost more for coverage. The next table shows the collected loss data for Chevy Volt vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is equal to 100. Values under 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while percentage numbers above 100 indicate more frequent losses or tendency to have larger claims.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Chevrolet Volt Vehicles
Specific Chevrolet Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Volt Electric 89 83 81 71 73 90
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Get cheaper Chevy Volt insurance rates in Indianapolis
Some insurance providers don't always list every possible discount very clearly, so the following list contains a few of the more well known and the more hidden discounts that may be available.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Active or retired federal employment could cut as much as 10% off with select insurance companies.
- Early Renewal Discounts - Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching policies prior to the expiration date on your current Volt insurance policy. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Driver's Ed - Teen drivers should enroll in driver's education in high school.
- Early Payment Discounts - If you pay your bill all at once instead of making monthly payments you could save up to 5%.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars with ABS and/or traction control can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Indianapolis Homeowners Discount - Just owning your own home may earn you a small savings because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Multi-car Discount - Buying coverage for multiple cars or trucks on one policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
Drivers should understand that some credits don't apply to the whole policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won't be that lucky.
A few of the larger companies and their offered discounts can be read below.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts for good student, safe driver, driver training, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, youthful driver, and renewal discount.
- MetLife includes discounts for defensive driver, good driver, accident-free, good student, and multi-policy.
- Progressive offers discounts including online quote discount, continuous coverage, online signing, multi-vehicle, good student, homeowner, and multi-policy.
- AAA may include discounts for AAA membership discount, education and occupation, good driver, multi-car, and pay-in-full.
- American Family may have discounts that include air bags, early bird, good student, defensive driver, and Steer into Savings.
- GEICO has savings for air bags, emergency military deployment, anti-theft, multi-policy, five-year accident-free, and anti-lock brakes.
- State Farm may offer discounts for anti-theft, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, accident-free, safe vehicle, defensive driving training, and multiple autos.
When getting free Indianapolis auto insurance quotes, it's a good idea to each insurance company how many discounts you can get. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply in Indianapolis. To view insurers with significant discounts in Indianapolis, click here to view.
Insurance quotes from neighborhood Indianapolis auto insurance agents
Some people just want to talk to a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Good insurance agents can help you choose the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. An additional benefit of getting free rate quotes online is you can get better rates and still have a local agent.
By using this quick form, the quote information is emailed to local insurance agents in Indianapolis that give free quotes for your business. You won't need to visit any agencies since rate quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific company, just find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Picking the best insurance company requires more thought than just a cheap price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Indianapolis?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
If you're trying to find an insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different agency structures and how they operate. Insurance agents are classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Both types can sell and service insurance coverage, but it's important to know the difference in the companies they write for since it can impact the kind of agent you use.
Agents of this type have only one company to place business with and examples are AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to place coverage with different providers so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. They are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Drivers often buy insurance from these agents primarily because of loyalty to the company instead of buying on price only.
Listed below is a list of exclusive agents in Indianapolis willing to provide price quote information.
- Scott Nichols - State Farm Insurance Agent
7022 W 10th St b - Indianapolis, IN 46214 - (317) 243-3509 - View Map
- Jim Grounds - State Farm Insurance Agent
4745 Statesmen Dr d - Indianapolis, IN 46250 - (317) 842-6807 - View Map
- State Farm: Amy Henry
7035 E 96th St Suite S-2 - Indianapolis, IN 46250 - (317) 897-1900 - View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent are appointed with more than one company and that gives them the ability to insure with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If your premiums go up, they simply switch companies in-house which is easy for the insured.
When comparing insurance prices, you need to contact several independent insurance agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Most independent agents also contract with smaller regional carriers which may provide better rates.
Shown below are Indianapolis independent agencies willing to provide price quote information.
- Affordable Insurance Agency
10 S Mickley Ave - Indianapolis, IN 46241 - (317) 484-9195 - View Map
- Access Auto Insurance
2107 W Washington St - Indianapolis, IN 46222 - (317) 687-8807 - View Map
- Killion Insurance Agency
6316 W Thompson Rd - Indianapolis, IN 46221 - (317) 856-4550 - View Map
The best insurance company isn't always the cheapest
Drivers leave their current company for many reasons like extreme rates for teen drivers, being labeled a high risk driver, not issuing a premium refund or even unfair underwriting practices. It doesn't matter why you want to switch finding a great new company can be less work than you think.
We covered a lot of techniques to find affordable Chevy Volt insurance in Indianapolis. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding cheaper Indianapolis auto insurance quotes. You may even find the best price on auto insurance is with some of the smallest insurance companies.
Budget-friendly auto insurance in Indianapolis is available online as well as from insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some auto insurance companies may not offer rate quotes online and many times these small, regional companies sell through independent insurance agents.
Additional detailed information can be found at these sites:
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Good Drivers in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Sentra in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota RAV4 in Indiana? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Cheap Car Insurance in Gary, Indiana? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Anderson, Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Uninsured Drivers in Indiana? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Portage, Indiana? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)