How many times have you told yourself it's time to shop around for cheaper insurance rates in La Porte, IN? Having to pay for expensive insurance in La Porte can deplete your monthly budget and force you to make sacrifices. Doing a rate comparison is recommended to make ends meet.
Shockingly, the vast majority of consumers have bought insurance from the same company for at least four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared rates to find cheap insurance. Indiana insurance shoppers could cut their rates by almost $700 a year, but they mistakenly think it's difficult to shop their coverage around.
Many car insurance companies vie to insure your vehicles, and because of this it can be hard to compare car insurance companies to get the lowest rate on insurance.
If you have insurance now, you should be able to get lower rates using these methods. Locating the most cost-effective auto insurance policy in La Porte is actually quite simple. Nevertheless, Indiana consumers should learn how companies calculate their prices and apply this information to your search.
The majority of larger companies like State Farm, GEICO and Progressive give prices from their websites. Doing online price comparisons doesn't take a lot of time because it's just a matter of typing in your coverage information on the page. After you submit the form the company's rating system gets information on your driving record and credit history and generates a price based on the information you submitted. Using the web to get quotes makes it simple to compare prices and it's also necessary to have as many quotes as possible in order to get the best auto insurance rates.
If you want to compare rates now, compare quotes from the companies shown below. If you have a policy now, it's recommended you input the coverage information as shown on your current policy. This makes sure you will be getting rate comparison quotes for exact coverage.
The companies in the list below offer comparison quotes in La Porte, IN. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you get prices from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LS 2WD||$654||$327||$55|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$878||$439||$73|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab ST 2WD||$1,210||$605||$101|
|Ford Edge SEL AWD||$828||$414||$69|
|Ford Escape Limited 2WD||$846||$423||$71|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 2WD||$952||$476||$79|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$796||$398||$66|
|Ford Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$922||$461||$77|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,242||$621||$104|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$718||$359||$60|
|Honda Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$1,048||$524||$87|
|Kia Optima SX||$1,000||$500||$83|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$796||$398||$66|
|Nissan Rogue S AWD||$916||$458||$76|
|Toyota Camry LE||$740||$370||$62|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$900||$450||$75|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD||$754||$377||$63|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Indiana minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Price information does not factor in specific La Porte garaging location which can change coverage rates substantially.
Liability-only rates compared to full coverage
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Ford F-150 yearly insurance costs with and without full coverage. The information is based on no claims, a clean driving record, $1,000 deductibles, married female driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Ford F-150 rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Should you buy full coverage or liability only?
There is no exact rule to eliminate full coverage on your policy, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than around 10% of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let's say your Ford F-150 book value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $8,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are currently paying more than $800 a year for full coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are a few cases where only buying liability is not advised. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should maintain full coverage.
Reckless driving habits raise auto insurance rates
The chart below demonstrates how citations and at-fault claims can influence Honda Accord premium costs for each different age group. The rate quotes are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Honda Accord rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Three reasons car insurance is important
Despite the potentially high cost of car insurance, insuring your vehicle may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In Indiana these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, most lenders will make it mandatory that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle at an extremely high rate and force you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects your vehicle and your assets. It will also reimburse you for medical bills for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your vehicle as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your car greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. The average driver in Indiana is wasting up to $825 a year so you should quote and compare rates each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Advertising and auto insurance
Respected companies like State Farm, GEICO and Progressive continually stream ads on television and other media. They all seem to make an identical promise that you'll save big if you get a free La Porte auto insurance quote and switch your auto insurance policy to them. How does every auto insurance company offer you a better deal on auto insurance?
Most companies have specific guidelines for the driver that will generate a profit. A good example of a profitable customer might be between the ages of 30 and 50, has no tickets, and has a short commute. Anybody that hits that "sweet spot" is entitled to the best price and as a result will probably save a lot on La Porte auto insurance if they switch.
Drivers who do not meet the "perfect" profile will probably be forced to pay higher premium rates which usually ends up with business going elsewhere. The trick companies use is to say "customers who switch" not "everyone that quotes" will save that much if they switch. That's the way insurance companies can confidently make it sound like they have such great car insurance rates.
Each company has different criteria, so it is so important to get La Porte auto insurance quotes from several different companies. It's impossible to know which company will have the best auto insurance in La Porte.
Get discounts to get affordable La Porte car insurance rates
Car insurance is expensive, but you can get discounts that may help make it more affordable. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of quoting, but some discounts are required to be asked for prior to receiving the credit. If you do not check that you are getting every discount possible, it's possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Club Memberships - Participating in a civic or occupational organization in La Porte is a simple method to lower premiums on your next car insurance statement.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Factory air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts up to 30%.
- Anti-theft System - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Online Discount - A few larger companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks shop La Porte auto insurance on their website.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Larger insurance carriers have better rates if you take out auto and life insurance together.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Active or former government employment can earn a discount up to 10% with some car insurance companies.
Please keep in mind that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Just because it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it doesn't quite work that way.
Larger car insurance companies and their possible discounts include:
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for bundle discounts, homeowner, switch companies, good student, multi-car, distant student, and early shopping.
- State Farm discounts include passive restraint, multiple autos, student away at school, defensive driving training, and anti-theft.
- Liberty Mutual may offer discounts for good student, hybrid vehicle, preferred payment discount, multi-car, new graduate, exclusive group savings, and newly retired.
- MetLife may have discounts that include defensive driver, good student, good driver, accident-free, and claim-free.
- Progressive has savings for online signing, good student, continuous coverage, online quote discount, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
It's a good idea to ask each company or agent which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts might not be offered in your state. To view insurance companies who offer cheap car insurance quotes in Indiana, follow this link.
Shop online but buy locally
A lot of people would rather sit down and talk to an agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases The best thing about getting online price quotes is the fact that drivers can get lower rates and still choose a local agent. And supporting local agents is especially important in La Porte.
After completing this short form, the coverage information gets sent to agents in your area that can give you free La Porte auto insurance quotes for your coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to search for any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. It's the lowest rates without a big time investment. If you wish to compare prices from one company in particular, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
When researching local La Porte agents, you must know there are a couple different types of agents from which to choose. Auto insurance agents in La Porte can either be exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be independent are not required to write business for one company so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your premiums go up, they can switch companies in-house and you stay with the same agent.
When comparison shopping, you will definitely want to include rate quotes from at least one independent agent in order to compare the most rates.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These type of agents normally can only provide a single company's rates like American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare rates from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive insurance agents are well schooled on their company's products and that can be a competitive advantage.
Finding the right auto insurance agent should include more criteria than just a cheap price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- How many years have they been established?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
One last thing to lower rates
Some insurance companies do not offer the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers prefer to sell through independent agents. Cost effective insurance can be sourced on the web and from local agencies, and you should compare rates from both to get a complete price analysis.
As you quote La Porte auto insurance, make sure you don't skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
Other learning opportunities
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Fishers, IN? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Indiana Car Insurance Rates for Government Employees? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota RAV4 in Indiana? (FAQ)
- How Much are Indiana Car Insurance Quotes for a Ford Explorer? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Welfare Recipients in Indiana? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Cheap Car Insurance in New Albany, Indiana? (FAQ)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)